Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

I was in the mood for this yummy pumpkin bread. I usually only make it in the fall but with canned pumpkin around, why wait? The only problem is that I actually didn't have canned pumpkin around. But I didn't realize this until I had already mixed all of the other wet ingredients. I had a can of squash, so I used that instead. Hopefully it won't make too much of a difference. I will share the original recipe since it is tried and true.

(This photo is the bread with no crumb topping)


Pumpkin Bread with Crumb Topping

1/2 C Corn Oil (vegetable oil is okay too)
2 Eggs, beaten
1/3 C Water
1 C pumpkin (canned)
1 2/3 C Sifted Flour
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 C Sugar

Mix wet ingredients: corn oil, eggs, water, and pumpkin

Add dry ingredients: flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar.

When everything is all mixed, it will be slightly thicker than cake batter.

Pour into greased & floured bread loaf pan (I use cooking spray). Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Add crumb topping and bake for an additional 20-35 minutes. You'll know it's done when you can insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.

Crumb Topping
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs flour
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs butter

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in 1 Tbs butter until it resembles corn meal.

No comments: